HONORS & AWARDS, APPOINTMENTS
- Best paper award at the R Finance
conference, (Chicago, May 2016) for the paper “An Index-Based Measure of
- Research Council of Canada SSHRC Insight Grant Award
for “On the Interconnectedness of Financial Institutions”
(with Professors Madhu Kalimipalli and Subhankar Nayak), April 2016.
First Prize in the MIT Center for Financial Policy Contest to define SIFIs (March 2016).
Best paper award at the R/Finance conference (Chicago, May 2015) for "Matrix Metrics: Network-Based Systemic Risk Scoring."
- 2014 GARP (Global Association of Risk Professionals) Risk Management Research Program Award (with Seoyoung Kim).
National Stock Exchange Best Paper Award, at the Center for Analytic Finance Conference, ISB, Hyderabad, for the paper titled ``Credit Spreads with Dynamic Debt,'' 2013. (with Seoyoung Kim)
- Consortium for Systemic Risk Analytics, MIT, Academic Board Member, 2012-.
- Dauphine-Amundi Award for Asset Management Proposal on Liability-Directed Investing, 2012. (with Seoyoung Kim and Meir Statman.)
- Santa Clara University, University-wide award for Sustained Excellence in Scholarship (2012).
- Leavey School Research Award for the paper with George Chacko that won the Second Prize, SPIVA Research Award 2011-12, from McGraw-Hill and Standard & Poors.
- Expert Panel, Center for Financial Research and Planning (CAFRAL), Reserve Bank of India, 2012-.
- Second Prize, SPIVA Research Award 2011-12, from McGraw-Hill and Standard & Poors.
- CFA Institute, Member, Capital Markets Policy Council (CMPC), 2011 - .
- Program coordinator, Risk Management,
Risk Measurement and Derivatives, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation,
Center for Financial Research (FDIC-CFR), 2008 - .
- Santa Clara University, University-wide
Award for Recent Achievement in Scholarship (2007).
- Breetwor Faculty Fellow, Santa Clara
- Nomination for the Smith-Breeden Prize for
the best paper in the Journal of Finance in 2005, for the paper
"Systemic Risk and International Portfolio Choice".
- Western Finance Association Caesarea Center
Award for the best paper on risk management at the WFA meetings
(Portland, Oregon) for the paper "Common Failings: How Corporate
Defaults are Correlated", 2005.
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC)
Research Fellow, 2004.
- Breetwor Faculty Fellow, Santa Clara
- Award for the best paper presented at the
2002 meetings of INQUIRE for the paper "Systemic Risk and International
Portfolio Choice" (with Raman Uppal).
- Voted second-best paper in the Journal of
Banking and Finance for A Theory of Banking Structure,
(co-authored with Ashish Nanda), 2001.
Dean Witter Faculty Fellow, Santa Clara University, 2000-2002.
Price Waterhouse Coopers Risk Institute Fellowship, 2000.
Deloitte & Touche Chair of Risk Management, University of Antwerp,
Merrill Lynch Award, 1997
Faculty Research Fellow,
National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER),1996.
- Best Thesis Award from the Financial
Association,sponsored by the American Instituteof Individual Investors,
Best thesis award,
New York University, 1995 for the Ph.D.dissertation in the
Investment Review Academic Sponsorship Award for the
proposal "How Diversified are Internationally Diversified Portfolios"
(with Prof. Raman Uppal, University of British Columbia), 1995.
Best Paper Award for the paper "Jump
Diffusion Processes and theBond Markets", awarded by the Financial
Management Association ofAmerica, and sponsored by the Fixed-Income
Analysis Society of New York,at the meetings in St. Louis, 1994.
Beta Gamma Sigma,
New York, 1994.
Nichols Fellowship, New York University, 1993-94.
Jules I. Bogen
Fellowship, New York University, 1992-93.
Fellowship in Finance, New York University, 1990-92.
Chairman's Award for Excellence, 1985.
Rank in the MBA Class (of 165 students),
Indian Institute of Management, 1984.
Fellowship, Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, 1983-84.
in Financial Management at theAccountancy Examinations of the
Institute of Cost & Works Accountants of India, 1983.
Rank and Gold Medalist at the University of Bombay B.Com Examinations
(of 13,563 candidates), 1982.
Talent Search Fellowship (awarded annually to 150
students based on an All-India Examination), 1982.